January 4, 2005

Krishna


Nicholas Roerich

Nicholas Roerich painted a series of landscapes of the Himalayas in various times of the year, and at different times in his life. These beautiful mountains are associated with the ascent to the ultimate mystery. On the ascent, the solitary quest of the sage is depicted in quiet meditation. The extrordinary beauty of these peaks naturally pull the viewer into intense and prolonged contemplation of the mountains immensity, mystery, structure, light and colors.

Perhaps the viewer becomes the view.

Posted by Hello

5 comments:

isaiah said...

Awesome artwork- thanks for this post!

"Perhaps the viewer becomes the view." I like this...there is such peace in contemplating this sentence.

I cannot say regarding the Himalayas, but there is something about the mountains, especially the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina that draws one to greater contemplation. I am ‘at home' in a way found at no other place on earth. Living at the ocean is a profound experience and there are many lessons to be learned...but the mountains are my true home and where I find the most inner peace. Thanks for this post and introducing me to the inspiring art of Nicholas Roerich.

Meredith said...

Thank you Isaiah,
I feel as you do. The mountains hold so much energy for me, and lure me right into the landscape.

Be sure to check out more of Roerich's paintings; they are all exquisite, deep, and ethereal.

M

Jon said...

Meredith,

Thanks for sharing that. However, I can only see it in a thumbnail size-anyway you could post a slightly larger version? I'd love to see it in more detail!

Thanks,

jon

Meredith said...

Jon,
I am having a little technical difficulty and wasn't able to post a larger picture. If you do an image search in google for Nicholas Roerich, you'll see a lot of his paintings in more appreciable sizes.
M

Unknown said...

Your response to this artist's work is similar to my own experience of -- not mountains here in southern Ontario -- but of sunsets and of starry nights -- when and if I can get far enough away form the city to see them in their fullness.