April 8, 2007

India


For the past two weeks I have been traveling in northern India. It was an exciting adventure for me, and everything I dreamed it would be. After reading Roger Housden's book, Travels Through Sacred India, I have been wanting to experience India for myself. It would be difficult to summarize this experience in a few short paragraphs, but I can say that this was an amazing time, and that I am still being seasoned by what I saw and learned.
I began my trip in Delhi, and traveled by car through Rajasthan, through the cities of Mandawa, Khimsar, Jaisalmar, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Pushkar, Jaipur, and finally to Agra to experience the Taj Mahal.

As a tourist, one is offered an itinerary that includes seeing a lot of famous and historical sites, such as the Mehrangarh fort in Jodhpur, and many temples, shrines and palaces. After a while, though these were all very interesting, I found I was gravitating to just wanting to find out more about the people of India - experience their schools, see their hospitals, their market places, their farming and industry, experience the riverbank laundry, learn to cook traditional Indian foods, and visit a children's home. So that is what I did. These experiences enriched my time tremendously, giving me a feel for India that as only a 'site-tourist' I would not have had. Here are a few favorite photos...


All for now (Blogger is sooo slow). Watch the photo stream on the right for photo snippits. I'll post more soon, when I recover from my jet lag.
It is so good to be home!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I am looking for a post I read a while ago and don't remember who blog was. I read a beautiful post about an American woman who was tracking in Tibet and came across a Buddhist monk.

The monk asked her what religion she was and she said she didn't follow any (atheist).

And the monk said: Ah! So you are a Buddhist...

And later she became an important female Buddhist in America.

Do you know this story or similar? Not sure if it is all correct.

I am really looking for it everywhere and cannot find it.

If you know please send me the link.

Many thanks

May you be happy, may you be well,

Angel (angelferrary@hotmail.com)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos of India :) You traveled in a lovely way. May God enlighten your journey, and guide you safely home.

Peace and Blessings!

isaiah said...

Oh M!

I feel blessed to see your beautiful photos from your trip. You have taken an adventure I long to take...and through your photography I feel closer to India.

I know it will take some time to process all you have seen, but please keep us up to date with your thoughts as to what you experienced.

Did Aki go with you?

This year it is Ireland, next year-Chaco Canyon & Yellowstone. 09 should be the year for India... I pray.

Beautiful, beautiful pictures.

I was privilages to attend a concert of the Anoushka Shankar project three weeks ago!

Om Shanti! And, Thanks!

Trevor Harden said...

Excellent, Meredith. I'm glad you were able to experience this, and also that you're sharing your pictures and experiences with the rest of us. I, too, would love to visit myself some day. Looking forward to more reflections as time (or slow Blogger) allows!

Meredith said...

It is good to hear from you all. Angela, I think I, too, have heard a tale of an American woman tracking in Tibet who had an amazing story, but I can't remember it clearly. I hope another reader can help.

Thank you Irving, for your continued blessings.

Smiles for Tommy and Trev - I hope you will both be able to travel to India one day.

I traveled this journey with my husband, Woodie.

Wow - Ireland! That will be an adventure, too.

More reflections coming soon.

~M

Keith "Nurse Keith" Carlson, RN, BSN, NC-BC said...

Many bleesings to you on your journey, and thanks for sharing with us.

I do not have your email so I wanted to let you know that I have tagged Graceful Presence for the Thinking Blogger Awards. You can visit this link to see my post if you like: http://digitaldoorway.blogspot.com/2007/04/thinking-blogger-awards.html

Blessings!

Jon said...

I'm so glad you had this experience and were able to share it with us.

I commented on some of your beautiful pictures.

greenfrog said...

The first picture in this post is stunning. Not sure whether it's the subject or the photographer or both. (I suppose that it can't be other than both/all, right?)

Anyway, thanks for sharing it.