December 28, 2008

Let it Rest

"I always forget how important the empty days are, how important it may be sometimes not to expect to produce anything, even a few lines in a journal. A day when one has not pushed oneself to the limit seems a damaged damaging day, a sinful day. Not so! The most valuable thing one can do for the psyche, occasionally, is to let it rest, wander, live in the changing light of a room."

- May Sarton
Journal of a Solitude

This past year I have not produced many posts, as my friends who frequent here have undoubtedly noticed. I think that I just needed a rest, I needed days of not pushing. My mind has wandered, and rested, as I lived in the changing light of my rooms. I emerge refreshed, and peaceful. I am especially hopeful for the new year even though there are so many difficult realities.

5 comments:

khairun said...

Hello there

Your interesting post got me thinking!

I guess I could say that I feel blessed to have enough time in my day-to-day life, for resting and wandering. I used to mistake it for laziness and not being productive enough. I would even get the often misguided comment that I am just lucky to have so much 'me-time'. I have a job, bills to pay, challenges and difficulties like everybody else. But I also make choices. And I make the choice to appreciate the sunlight that fills the rooms in my house, the smell of my favourite lipbalm, the sound of children playing in the park. Thats when I just let it rest. To think I should fret and worry over things ahead of those moments, in other words, in the future, doesnt even come into the picture. Why should they? I enjoy it too much to want to ignore it.

BTW I have just ordered the book you quote from through Amazon and I cannot wait to start reading it.

Many best wishes for 2009.

Khairun

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the quote from May Sarton, especially the last line about the changing light in the room.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Its a beautiful Blog you have here.
have a great year 2009 ahead.

Chodpa said...

Hi Meridith ..... very good to 'hear' your voice again .. and hope the last year has been good for you (whatever that is ;-)

take care,

Chodpa

Vincent said...

I find it challenging to watch the changing light in a room. My meditation really is to walk or at least be under the sky in some way. I've been aware that I should be able to live within a room in this contemplative way, but have not been confronted by the challenge as I would be, for instance, if I were imprisoned in some way - illness for example.