April 6, 2006

Atman met Allah

From the Life of Pi, by Yann Martel

Page 62, Pi describes his teacher, Mr. Kumar:

(Mr. Kumar) was a hafiz, one who knows the Qur’an by heart, and he sang it in a slow simple chant. My Arabic was never very good, but I loved the sound. The guttural eruptions and long flowing vowels rolled just beneath my comprehension like a beautiful brook. I gazed into this brook for long spells of time. It was not wide, just one man’s voice, but it was as deep as the universe.

I described Mr. Kumar’s place as a hovel. Yet no mosque, church or temple ever felt so sacred to me. I sometimes came out of that bakery feeling heavy with glory. I would climb onto my bicycle and pedal that glory through the air.

One such time I left town and on my way back, at a point where the land was high and I could see the sea to my left and down the road a long ways, I suddenly felt I was in heaven. The spot was in fact no different from when I had passed it not long before, but my way of seeing it had changed. The feeling, a paradoxical mix of pulsing energy and profound peace, was intense and blissful. Whereas before the road, the sea, the trees, the air, the sun all spoke differently to me, now they spoke one language of unity. Tree took account of road, which was aware of air, which was mindful of sea, which shared things with sun. Every element lived in harmonious relation with its neighbor, and all was kith and kin. I knelt a mortal; I rose immortal. I felt like the center of a small circle coinciding with the center of a much larger one. Atman met Allah.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I loved his description of growing up in India, and how he came to be "polyreligious" embracing the common ground of Hinduism, Christianity, and Islam.