February 10, 2005

Rumi

Rumi, the lover, spent the day with me.

Resting before getting out of bed, I pulled Rumi to me. He said, “Though we seem to be sleeping, there is an inner wakefulness that directs the dream, and that will eventually startle us back to the truth of who we are.” Rumi startled me. Refreshed and awake, I am quietly nudged, and sweetly reminded of who I am.

In meditation, I sit, and become empty and aware, warm with love. I lose myself. Rumi said, “I can’t explain the goings, or the comings. You enter suddenly and I am nowhere again. Inside the majesty.”

At breakfast today, Rumi said, “Who ever acts with respect will get respect. Whoever brings sweetness will be served almond cake.” Thank you Rumi, it is delicious.

I notice an old photo. With a lingering penchant for wistful sadness, tears rise up. Rumi said, “But listen to me; for one moment, quit being sad. Hear blessings dropping their blossoms around you.” And I noticed early camellia blossoms already dropping their exquisite pink blossoms onto the garden soil. How did he know? In this moment my sadness dissipates.

Looking out my window onto the boulevard, watching the traffic speed by, I feel a sense of longing. Rumi said, “Days full of wanting, let them go by without worrying that they do. Stay where you are inside such a pure, hollow note.” I am here now in this comfortable space, watching out the window I become unattached – the moment is pure.

Rumi left me a note by my window. It reads, “Every object, every being, is a jar full of delight. Be a connoisseur.” And I looked, and saw with fresh eyes flags with brilliant colors illuminated by light, gently tossed by an invisible breeze to delight me.

He quietly whispered, “Observe the wonders as they occur around you. Don’t claim them. Feel the artistry moving through, and be silent.” I notice the sunlight filtering through the early morning fog, illuminating the grass with the patterns of dancing leaves. I watch, silently, full of wonder.

Rumi popped up again and said to me, “Keep knocking, and the joy inside will eventually open a window and look to see who’s there.” Oh Rumi, you are being playful with me. Who, who is knocking? Is it you? Is it me? There you are! It is my beloved.

The news came on the car radio. I turned it off. Rumi reminded me, “World-power means nothing. Only the unsayable, jeweled inner life matters.” I know he's right - I hardly have the words to express it.

My heart is so open. I live, full of awe, experiencing the joy and artistry of the simplest moment, rich beyond measure with inner treasures. I stop to wonder about it. Then Rumi said, “This is not a day for asking questions, not a day on any calendar. This day is conscious of itself. This day is a lover, bread, and gentleness, more manifest than saying can say.”

I know you are right, again, Rumi. Thank you, my beloved friend.

6 comments:

isaiah said...

AAaaahhhhh.....such a blessed journey-day with notes from home to add to the delight!

Thank you for sharing your Self.

Jon said...

Beautiful messages are coming so profusely now in your blog, it's hard to take it all in!

When I'm silent, it's because there's nothing to add.

Thank you

Joe said...

Something beautiful, miraculous is happening here. See her abide "inside such a pure, hollow note." And from this sacred space, she shares her song with us. Can you not feel the ecstasy, the overflowing happiness in these lines? Where does this uncontainable abundance come from? I am astounded at this beauty who lays her wing as a bridge to us, so that we can join her singing. From my forest cave I hear her singing. With her song I am encouraged to leave that dark cave forever. Can you feel an emerald bird stirring in your own heart?

With her innocent words see how she points toward the hollow note, the "space within the shape, from which the pot is made." She shines light upon her emptiness, the empty space, her receptivity and openness -- and then the miracle of creativity as her song emerges from this hollowness, this sacred space. She has become the hollow bamboo. Her hollowness has allowed for this explosion of beauty and creativity that touches us deeply.

This hollow bamboo has become a flute that God is now playing. She has become a passage for the divine, for graceful presence to flow through her. The barriers that have kept her from her emptiness, her hollowness, are dissolving, and with this dissolution there is no barrier to the divine. The infinite source pours into her. She is filled with the divine. When existence knocks at her door, there is no resistance. Instead it finds a deep allowing. She is allowing something to happen through her. It is not a doing, it is an allowing. She is not the creator of this sweet music emerging from her heart. She is allowing the song to come through her from the beyond. Her song carries the fragrance of the beyond, and with it, an exquisite beauty and freshness.

Her words point to something. Don't miss that which lies hidden in the open, behind her lovely words.

With immense gratitude my friend.

Darrell Grizzle said...

"Hear blessings dropping their blossoms around you." What a beautiful image! And what a beautiful way you allow Rumi to be a graceful presence in your life.

blessings,
Darrell

Meredith said...

Rumi said, "Be grateful for whoever comes, because each has been sent as a guide from beyond."

I am so grateful to each of my friends here - Tommy, jon, Akilesh, Al and Darrell - Thank you all so much for your kind words and nurturing of my spirit.

Blessings to each of you!

mardiana said...

thank u Meredith for sharing Rumi in this wonderful way.